Bane broke his back, my ass. Batman let Bane break his back. I'm speaking out of ignorance here, so grain of salt this, but has Batman not fought tougher opponents? How many times has Joker gotten the drop on him and put him in a predicament like a Bond villain would. A pendulum of chainsaws swinging down as he's tied down.
Batman let Bane break his back. Bane wanted to show off, Batman knew that, in his infinite knowledge. I'm not making that one up. As Superman is as strong as he needs to be, Batman is as brilliant as he needs to be. Some nerds correlated Wayne's IQ and determined that he made all the other smarty pants in the DC universe look as intelligent as Aquaman is useful. Batman knew Bane wasn't going to kill him, he knew he was going to be broken, and he knew he would rebuild himself to be stronger.
Ah, there's the point of all this, you think. Well, not as you would think. I'm not an optimist. I wish I could change that, but I don't know how. "Hey, everything is going to be better. You were miserable at that job anyway. Plus, all that money and potential security, who needs that, right? Oh shit. That's right. You do. Oh well, you're fucked. Why get out of bed? Why try? Sleeping is so much easier. Your back has been broken...."
"Stay down."
Great men rise to the occasion. If I was a great man, I'd have done something worth seeing by now. Great men are born of adversity. If that's the case, then when I get back on my feet, maybe I'll throw on a cape and cowl, then run around punching people at night. Talking with a gravelly voice. No, I won't because only exceptional men can do that. Batman is so damn exceptional, he can wear a costume everyday, fight in it, and not think twice about it. He could probably dress up like a rainbow colored unicorn and kick ass. He's a genius who knows every martial art and is rich. Mega rich. The mega rich part is key here. It allows him for a lot of free time. He doesn't have to stay on the floor for four days when a job lays him off. He can yawn and run around in a unicorn outfit, thinking genius thoughts.
He's wracked with despair though. That's why I don't hate him. Despite all the things he has going for him, the despair is hiss greatest weakness. He doesn't rise above it. He is haunted. Unless you're looking at the Bob Kane Batman or the 60's Batman, you don't see the guy smiling. He's the "Dark" Knight, these days.
I told Emily, that one year ago I was unhappy but content. My relationship wasn't where I wanted it to be and I disliked my job. I didn't hate it, I disliked it. But I was secure. I was doing little projects on the side - but on the side meant when I wasn't doing overtime. I did a lot of overtime the last 6 years. I have nothing to show for it, really.
This broke my back. I might get up, but will I rise? Who knows. Maybe through meditation and medication. Did I need this? Maybe. It was going to happen eventually, I think. Even if it didn't, what was my future? I'll not go down that route - it could have been a good one. Couldn't it still be a good one? Again, I over think (and over write) everything and I focus on the negative. I don't know the answer to that question. My biggest concern now is health care - and again, as it lingers in my head the dread begins.
I want to see a normal guy get his back broken by Bane. He's had to have practiced that move before, right? Is Batman really the first guy whose back he broke? That could be the case, but if it isn't, what about that schmuck? That no body is far more interesting than genius, playboy, overachiever who you know is going to win. Pro-wrestling is less predictable than Batman's fate. He's going to rise up, have a stronger back than before, and win the day.
What about the no name that does that? I guess I'm writing that story now. So far, that jerk spent four days on the floor. Today, he weighed himself and he's down to 233 lbs. That's a great thing. The sun is shining into the apartment. He's about to start teaching himself some C# and Unity, maybe make a shitty template game. He's still not going to talk to anyone. He's still not sure what the future holds. But he got up today. Oh yeah, and 5 hour energy is waiting for him. That's his spinach to make him Popeye. After sucking that down, in an hour, his brain will overcome the darkness and he'll be alive again. It'll only last for so long, but the grandeur will be amazing.
He might even open the window and let fresh air in.
No comments:
Post a Comment