Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day Two - The day after the beginning

Great, well, potentially great news today. I'll keep it mum because I don't want to jinx anything. Yeah, I'm a guy who believes in jinxes.

I don't have a lot of time to post at the moment. Yeah, I know you're jonzing for a long, meaty post. Go to dinosaur dracula. It's worth it.

Target opened it's Halloween display last week. That marked the first part of the official start of the Halloween season. Where I'm going tomorrow will finalize the season opening.

The opening of the season will be a two parter. First, I'm going to talk about Target.


Picture it. It's a windy night. Owls are hooting and in the distance, the howl of a wolf. I unfurl into the store in a twisting swirl of smoke. Emily, my love, appearing in a thunder clap of bats. And what do we see! A jolly spider welcoming us! Indicating that "Halloween is this way, guys!" More exclamation marks are needed in this paragraph!

We scamper down the isles like two excited goblins. People leap out of our way, seeing the devilish glow in our eyes, our teeth chattering, claws clattering. Emily drops onto all fours and gallops like a wolf to the back of the store. I am lifted into the air, riding a trail of black flames, wooshing beside her. As we turn the corner, what do we see?
Why it's our spider friend again. His infectious smile still wide on his face, he indicates we must turn the corner to find the "Halloween Shop". 

In the past, they never labelled their Halloween "section" before. I always simply thought of it fondly as a section. But a "Shop" is a far better name. Familiar. Mainstreet America is lined with shops. Around this time of year, some of them are even "Halloween Shops". The mere thought of that, a "Halloween Shop" on a main street, summons up wondrous images in my head. 

A gnarly old man, with a long, tree-bark wrinkled face, smiles mischievously at patrons as they walk in. Few even notice him at first. Most pass him by, their eyes exploring the ceiling to floor costumes, gags, and decorations. 

Target's "Halloween Shop" may not live up to such a legendary location, but they're not slouches when it comes to quality decorations.

"You're almost there", the cardboard cut out spider whispered to Emily and I. Whispered to us from his cardboard mind.

We rushed past clearance and price cuts, and skittered across the floor when taking the turn. We crashed into the poor lady pushing the cart. She screamed and tried to run, but Emily was too fast and ate her face. Blood eveywhere - it was wonderful.

Blood dripping from her face, she crawled atop the isle of food and shrieked in banshee delight.

Our vision blurred, ignoring everything around us that was not the "Halloween Shop". People would soon arrive with pitchforks and holy symbols, but a few face-melting blasts of hell fire and a barrage of frenzied attacks from Emily had them running to leave us in peace.

Row after row of sugary treats. Painted jack o lanterns. Spider, bat, and ghost decorations. So many props and costumes, I'll not be able to cover them all. But I'll try my best.

Rows of Halloween lights lined the wall. Above them was our happy spider friend hugging his jackolantern friends. If you notice, the central jack-o-lantern is upset. Above his head floats a candle and his cap has been removed. In the anatomy of a jack-o-lantern, the candle might be considered both the brain and the heart and the soul of a pumpkin. Frankly, as they are hollow, the candle is all internal organs. I can see why he'd be concerned as his entire insides are being drawn out of him by supernatural forces. The fact that his friends not only don't care, but are smiling, is sad as well. Wow. That picture is a real downer.

Not this one! Look at all those wonderful eyes! Torn out of the sockets of monsters. No humans have eyes like that, just terrible, unsuspecting monsters who may have been lurking under the beds of bratty children. Poor monsters who were hunted down by heroes to further their "glory". That wreath is a ring of pain and suffering. Bummer.

Not the skeleton though. How can anyone possible look upon him and not smile, right? Well, despite the fact his fingers and toes have been shaved off and he can not support himself as his limbs are held together by chains. That's probably fake smile, carved into his face. Inside he's really screaming, "Kill me again. Please, just kill me again and don't bring me back!"

Crap. This is turning out to be a downer.

Adam just walked into my lair, so I must depart. Tonight I am attending a costume party. I'll leave the link here. This will be my costume.


I'm dressed up as Batman. As a costumed vigilante, I must protect my real identity. That's why I wear the mask.

***

Hours later ...

Losing my job was one of the many events in my life that made it crap, recently. But today was a good day. A great one.

It started at lunch. That jinx I mentioned earlier - screw it, I got people praying for me. My old boss from Firaxis mentioned it might be possible for me to get my old job back. By old job, I mean managing a QA department, doing some voice acting here and there, and flying around the world to do some PR work. Amazing. Better, I'll still be able to work on my RPG, write, make films, everything. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but I was forbidden to be creative at the shit company that fired me.

Then I go to buy a new laptop, because Emily stole mine. Remember when I said she ate that poor woman's face? It was much like that. She demanded I give her my beloved laptop and threatened me with violence. I caved. This new laptop, while nothing truly powerful, will allow me to write and code outside the apartment. I need that badly and look forward to using it tomorrow. Plus, 7 hour battery life. :D

After this, I hung out with my friend Adam. Great guy. Not only did he cheer me up, but he brought me two CDs by goth bands I'd not heard of but turned out to love! New, good music for free in a genre I adore. :D :D

As I mentioned above, I went to my favorite monthy cheesy movie event. Tonight was the Microwave Massacre - a 1980s romp revision of Sweeny Todd with a microwave instead of a butcher shop. At this event there was a costume contest. A costume contest where I won! $50 was the prize. I dressed, as seen above, as Batman. I had a cape, in addition to the get up seen above. It was a glorious victory. :D :D :D

After this, hanging out with my friend Mike, he showed me updated art from a comic we are working on. It floored me. His work is outstanding and to see a quality print of the art floored me. Definitely inspiring me to finish another comic we're working on and keep the creative juices flowing.

Some other minor news, I'll be getting a real bed soon - rather than sleeping on the floor like a bum. Mike mentioned it appeared I lost a good bit of weight, which makes me feel better because I was a slob there for a while. A slob and a bum. 

Yeah, things are looking up, up, up. Let's hope the see-saw doesn't crash tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment